Saturday, January 19, 2013

Ringing in the New Year; Welcome 2013!

Every year my family and I head to Florida between Christmas and New Years; it is one of my favorite places on earth! Over the years Matt has become very fond of the trip as well; hello he can get some extra golf games in before the end of the year.  When we found out we were expecting we both decided we were going to book our flight down there as usual and if all went well I would stay a few extra days with mom and the baby.  So, on Friday December 28th Mason took the his first plane ride as we headed down to FL.  It so happened that mom, Mia and I were pretty sick for the flight, so in that regard it was miserable.  However, Mason was a champ!

This trip was similar to years past but yet so different (I didn't even bring a book down there to occupy my time, knowing that Mason would do a good job of that).  I'm not going to lie; between being sick and adjusting to "vacation" with a baby it took me awhile to relax.  The lesson I learned here is that mommies don't get a vacation; however I much appreciated being a mom in the warm FL weather (not having to bundle him up was a huge plus).  One of the more special aspects of our trip was that Mason got to meet his Aunt Megan!  Megan, lives in Orlando and took the drive to come see us and hang with Mase Man.  We all truly enjoyed our visit with Megan and Dave and so look forward to seeing them again soon at their wedding in May.
Mason with Aunt Megan


We have one family tradition on our annual trip to FL and that is outlet mall shopping New Years Day! Dad had a plan and boy did it work....while we all speed shopped Dad held Mason the entire time (I'm talking hours).  Mason may look small but that isn't the case... Dad is still recovering from holding our 15 plus pound 3 month old.  The shopping trip was a success mainly for Mason because were able to pick up some really cute outfits for him.



While on our trip we took Mason swimming!  Not only he is the cutest pool bound baby I've ever seen but he truly enjoyed the water.  My mom took him in the water and really got him to love kicking and floating around.  We also discovered that Mason loves being outside; we took lots of walks while we were done there; I'm pretty sure he is missing those walks now.  Just not that doable in the cold Chicago weather. 
Worn out after a few minutes in the pool



Mom and Dad watched Mason while Mia, Marc, Matt and I went to dinner and to play some mini golf!  It was great to go on a double date with my sister and have some adult time!

Sisters
I really got spoiled while I was in FL; having so many extra hands was nice!  They aren't kidding when they say "it takes a village." I really didn't want to come home but I wasn't so sure I was up for the challenge of flying with Mason alone (more so handling all the equipment the little guy comes with).  I feel extremely lucky to have had the time down in FL, for my parents and sister for all their help and for my husband who allowed me to stay down there without him. Next year I plan to stay the entire month of January and I'm hoping some of my friends come take the trip down to hang in the sunny FL weather.

Mase and Aunt Mia

Morning sunshine!






The last couple years have been VERY busy for us; wedding, baby, move and job change!  We will look back on 2012 with fond memories but we are hoping to slow down a bit in 2013 and enjoy each other and Mason as well as get settled in our new house. 


1 comment:

  1. Great post, Jenn! Florida was so much fun; can't wait for next year!!

    ReplyDelete